Creator Owned Day returns Wednesday 5th March 2014! The last two year's challenge saw comic creators writing and drawing up new characters, readers celebrating their favourite creator-owned series and a trending topic on Twitter.
A quick recap of the challenge details:
Create a sketch of an original character or concept and and post it on your Blog, Twitter etc on Wednesday 5th March. It should be a concept completely owned by the artist (or co-owned with the writer/collaborators permission to post).
Why? A number of reasons:
1. A lot of reader and creator focus is on characters owned by larger corporations. Let's bring a little spotlight on creating brand new, creator owned concepts.
2. Bringing a little awareness to the business side of co-creating original content. Take a look at Jeff Parker's article and follow up comments on the subject. Co-creators can take this opportunity as a little trial run, just make sure to have a mutual agreement in advance.
3. Fun! A few creators discussed the idea on Twitter and thought it was a great opportunity to create something entirely new, while bringing attention to these sketches.
1. Create a sketch of a new character/character you own. We're doing this primarily to get our imaginations running, so a concept specifically created for Creator Owned Day is probably ideal. It should NOT be a character owned by either a company eg. Marvel's Wolverine, OR owned by other creators e.g. Todd McFarlane's Spawn. It also shouldn't take distinct features from characters owned by others e.g. Wolverspawn You must own the character.
2. Post it on your blog, or Facebook, Twitter etc.
3. Share your post using the Twitter hashtag #CreatorOwnedDay.
4. Help us spread the word by retweeting your favourite new characters.
Let's see what we can come up with!
You can follow Creator Owned Day or my own account on Twitter to see retweets of the best from the day. Click the #CreatorOwnedDay Hashtag and flick through the photos for highlights from the last two years did you need a little inspiration.